Tonight’s post will be brief since I want to get some good rest before Thanksgiving festivities begin! Last year I posted lots of photos, but I neglected to provide links to all of the recipes. Bad idea. What a pain it has been to track them down! This year I am wiser. For your reference (and my convenience next year), I am posting the main events here. If you’re ready to try something new, these are tested and approved by me and my family! My favorite is hands down the green beans. Can’t have Thanksgiving or Christmas without them. Everything was delicious last year so this year I am re-using the same menu to make sure it wasn’t just beginner’s luck!
- Turkey Brine
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing
- Garlic Thyme Mashed Potatoes: I used purple potatoes last year, but trying this year with red skinned
- Cranberry Sauce
- Green Beans: this recipe isn’t online, it is simply as many green beans as you like (that’s like 10 cans for me!), cover with water, and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and keep an eye on them – you should be replacing the water that cooks out. Continue for several hours (4-8hrs) and then let the water cook out and finish with 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Fruit Salad: my family always made a fall fruit salad and it’s the perfect addition to a heavy meal, in my opinion. Oranges, apples, red grapes, bananas, and walnuts. Can’t get any easier that that!
- Pumpkin Bread: My dad just told me tonight that whenever my grandma got asked how she made this wonderful bread, she would answer ,”with pussy-willows of course!” I have no idea where that came from but I’ll stick it, Grandma.
So far the bird is in the brine, the bread cubes are toasted for stuffing, the garlic for the mashed potatoes is roasted, and the cranberry sauce is complete. I think we’re in great shape to have a fantastic day tomorrow! Can’t wait, and neither can Charlie! Though dreads are popular here, he even got his hair did to make a good impression on our hosts. Goodnight and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!